Saturday, July 7, 2012

Gluten Free beer trials - Part 1

So, when you cut out gluten, beer goes out the window too. When I first went GF, DH said "you know you can't drink beer now". Of course, being the super smart person I am, I said "why not?". I realized after the fact that most beer is made from barley, which contains gluten.

Anyways...I've tried a few brands of GF lately. About a month ago I had enlisted the help of a friend (who is also GF) to try some with me the first go around. I was pretty sure it would taste really bad and we'd be pouring the 3 different kinds down the drain. They turned out to be okay, none were completely terrible. It was a nice change from wine. Since then I've tried 2 other brands, and a new one today. I'll start my reviews with the new one, and work my way through the others. Who knew there were so many options!? And let me clarify that several of these you can buy as single bottles, I'm not drinking a 6-pack at a time here people :)

Up today is La Messagere Blonde. This one is made in Quebec, and is a rice and buckwheat beer (buckwheat is not really wheat) so that makes it 100% GF. Some of the other beer is gluten-reduced, which may bother the more sensitive GF person. This one was being sold as a 6-pack, at $20.54 including GST.



To me, La Messagere is very sweet and has a funny aftertaste. Don't like it. I'd say it's at the very bottom of my list. Might taste better with food. This was the only brand of GF beer my local Liquor Depot had. An awesome store on the southside of Edmonton (Keg n Cork) carries the other brands I've tried (total I think they have about 7 different ones? maybe more). That's where some of the single bottles are sold.

Next up...Glutenberg blonde ale - also from Quebec!


4 comments:

  1. Have you tried all La Messagere's products? They have a wide variety of other gluten-free beers too.

    http://www.lesbieresnouvellefrance.com/home

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Nope, this was the only one Liquor Depot had...

      Delete
  2. I bought Bard's, and I quite enjoyed it. They have it at the little independent liquor store by my Mom's house (back in Mill Woods...), but I have heard that some Liquor Depots carry it as well. I'm almost done my 6-pack, so I'll have to let you know what I try next.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have not tried Bard's yet, I've had quite a few so far...found some favs! Actually adding a lime makes the ugly ones a bit more pleasant. More posts to come!

      Delete